Friday, September 22, 2017

Linux - Dealing with a cheap Chinese vidcam

My latest project is putting a vidcam on the house, but it has to be a low-lux starlight cam.  And it has to be all Linux.  The only way I could afford it was to buy an ipcam direct from China.  It's a great cam, but the software is all win.  In fact, it's more tailored to whatever is the predominant stolen versions in China, since nobody would be insane enough to actually buy the real thing.

Thus, the only interface is port 80, or a web interface that is so bizarre as to be tailored to one specific version of win, and one version of ie.  And they don't tell you what it is.  Really, you should know, sort of like NL signs.

This has gotten me into all sorts of emulations for Linux.  At the end, I have found that MS provides an infinite number of variations for ie and win on Virtualbox.  That's amazing!  They have to do it because ms is non-existent on the big servers, and they want to make sure that any weird combination works on banking sites.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I am now working my way through all of them, until I find the right one.  Blah.

No comments: